Saturday, February 23, 2008

meaningful quote

"What is spiritual realization? . . . is to see clearly that what I perceive, experience, think, or feel is ultimately not who I am, that I cannot find myself in all those things that continuously pass away. . . . when Jesus said, 'Deny thyself,' what he meant was: negate (and thus undo) the illusion of self. If the self -- ego -- were truly who I am, it would be absurd to "deny" it." --- A New Earth, pp. 78-79.

Wow! This is what I have been journeying toward in my spiritual life. This is the meaning of John's gospel, of my religious upbringing, of my progressive religion, and my emerging sense of social justice. And I don't have to leave my faith to practice it. It is what my chosen savior meant with his teachings. Wow! I truly can "love" my neighbor and not feel guilty about. Wow!

-- Donna

1 comment:

Susan said...

Donna...Outstanding quote and reflection! Your excitement is contagious. Looking forward to your facilitation.